Friday, June 26, 2009

Energy Bill

The energy bill is out there floating around, attempting to institute cap and trade on the ability to emit the bad stuff and require higher efficiency and more renewable energy sources. From what I hear the big argument against it is that industry and energy companies will shift the costs on to the consumer. I'm no political kingpin, but....fucking duh? Did this surprise people? I feel like fools are just being combative because they feel they have to oppose something. Next stop, Limp Bizkit fandom.

It has to be paid for somehow. Doesn't it make the most sense to put a price on emissions and let the market do what the market does to work out what still makes sense? Pollute more, pay for it. Suddenly the cheapest way to do things becomes not the cheapest way to do things. Bam, cheap dirty industry is priced out by cleaner industry that was once more expensive. And fittingly, those end users who use the most power or those who use dirty energy will be the ones to pay more for it. Yes, it will cost more than it does currently, but y'all sure as heck weren't going to approve something bankrolled entirely by Uncle Sam, were you?

3 comments:

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

I think you missed my point, I understand that it's not a tax but prices will rise in accordance with production costs. Is there a better way to get it done? Should we just leave it alone?

More to the point, won't I and others then have plenty of reason to choose fuel, goods and services that cost me the least, and also have incentive to conserve energy, thereby achieving the intent of the bill?

Re: your link - I find it baffling that people call it invasive. Only the trickle down market prices run into our daily lives, there is no inclusion for big brother demanding that I turn off my lights. I pay the power bill and if I don't like the cost of using a lot of energy, I can choose to use less, or I can choose to leave my junk on and pay the higher bill. There is no inalienable right to fixed utility costs.

Unknown said...

Chris,
This is crazy- I don't want to pay for clean, breathable air for the people of the world if it means sacrificing my $1,400 front row Miley Cyrus ticket. Excuse me, but I have to go wash my Limp Bizkit t-shirt collection now.

Sarah